Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Blue

Dear Linds,

I miss you so thought I'd write a blue post to match my blue mood. . .

The women of our family used to pick blueberries at least once each summer, but the tradition faded as my sisters and I grew up and became more interested in boys than berries. Until recently. Last week, I went picking with my mom and older sister. I then made jam to "preserve" our memory of it. (please forgive the pun)



I wish I could remember what I did because it's my best jam to date. I *think* the recipe went something like this:

6 cups blueberries
3 cups sugar
Juice of 1 lemon
10 or so basil leaves wrapped in little cheesecloth package
(please note that I did not use pectin)

I threw everything in the pot and stirred occasionally until it reached the desired consistency (remembering that it would jell a little more once it cooled). I then removed the basil, poured the warm jam into sterilized jars, and sealed them in a water bath for five minutes.

Loves,

No comments:

Post a Comment