Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Yogurt!

Dear Megs,

Can you read my posts yet? Anyway, just saw this great article in the New York Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/15/dining/15curi.html?em

It's about yogurt. You know I've been making my own yogurt for years, and it's hard to go back. It's SO easy. The author of the article talks about stuff you can do for better flavor and consistency, but really, you can stir a spoonful of starter or yogurt into cold milk as well, and it will yog just fine. Not as well, but fewer steps.

Maybe this is gross, but I haven't had a woman-bacteria-related-problem even once since I started making my own yogurt. Kill the middleman, is what I say. Homemade yogurt has none of the preservatives or thickeners, and you will always know if your starter doesn't have active cultures, because your milk won't yog. Also, if you do heat up your milk, don't let it get too hot because if it boils, it will kill whatever growy bits in the milk that allow it to interact with the bacteria and become yogurt.

Make it! Eat it with the granola you made (first post ever...I made an extra thrilling batch 2 weeks ago), and reap benefits!

Love,

Linz

PS Next I will try homemade crème fraîche and homemade buttermilk. Mmmmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment