Sunday, April 26, 2009

You tart!

Dear Megs,

I PASSED. You know this, but I am slowly, slowly, beginning to feel like a different person, like a normal person. I am still not sleeping normally, and I don't have the immense sense of relief I thought I would have. But, I know deep down that this was a challenge I will never have to face again. So, today I made some tarts.



I tried this other recipe for the crust, called "rich tart pastry" in the Williams and Sonoma baking bible, but the crusts ROSE and that meant that I couldn't fill them. Stupid. So I reverted to a regular butter pie crust (with a tbs of sugar). Easy, delicious. I used a tart cream recipe from an old cookbook called Pamela something-or-other's A-Z Pies and Tarts, which is a great book. The cream was FABULOUS - i made a key lime cream and then topped it with fresh fruit. I made a lime glaze, too, but then I tasted it and it was lovely, but really tart and I didn't want it to detract from the beautiful flavor of the cream and fresh fruit, not to mention the butter crust.


If I make this again I will use a regular glaze, because I do think it's pretty, but then again what is prettier than fresh fruit (almost) in season? Strawberries and kiwis are so SO good right now, you should go buy some.

These were GORGEOUS and yummy, way easier than their beauty would indicate. Specific recipes available upon request. I would mail you some, Megs, but I'm not sure how they would fare, even overnight, out of the fridge.

It was so SO SO SO great to see you this week. I'm sorry I was monopolized by everyone. I love you,

Linz

No comments:

Post a Comment