Sunday, March 22, 2009

Let's make whoopie!

Dear Lindz,

Earlier this week, the New York Times profiled one of my favorite treats, the whoopie pie.  I'd be lying if I said I grew up with them (as I suspect you did), but I've been making and loving whoopie pies for about a year now.  I can't get enough of them because, unlike cupcakes, whoopie pies have the perfect ratio of frosting and cake in every bite.  Yum.

Anyway, the article prompted me to make a batch for my parents' visit on Friday.  Here's a picture of the result:



I developed my own recipe for the raspberry buttercream frosting, but used Martha's recipe for the cake:

The Pie/Cookie/Cake
1 3/4 cups all purpose flower
3/4 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp coarse salt (I recommend using table salt instead)
1 T unsalted butter
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 large egg
1 cup whole milk (I used 2%)
1 tsp pure vanilla extract

You know the drill - sift together the dry in a separate bowel, cream the butter/shortening and sugars, add the egg, add half the dry, add the milk and vanilla, add the remaining dry.  Spoon rounded tablespoons of the batter onto cookie sheets lined with parchment paper and bake in a 375 degree oven for 12-14 minutes, or until the cookies spring back when lightly touched.  Cool on wire racks.

The Frosting
1 cup of frozen raspberries
1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
1tsp vanilla extract
1 pound box of confectioner's sugar

Puree the raspberries and strain out the seeds.  Mix the raspberry puree, butter, and vanilla.  Slowly add the confectioner's sugar until you reach the desired consistency (I used the whole box).

Please tell Alex I say, "Happy Birthday!"  And PLEASE post pictures of THE CAKE.

Loves!
Megs

No comments:

Post a Comment