Saturday, March 7, 2009

Orange Mocha 2


Dear Megs,

I tried again. This time, instead of powdered cocoa, I used unsweetened baking chocolate. I also added oil, and another egg. The result was a sublime, but dense, boucher sort of dessert. Way richer than a cupcake should be, and denser. But still delicious and worth making. More chocolaty, and less espresso flavor; the flavor of the first try was nicer, actually, unless you want a real chocolate punch and aren't going for the true mocha flavor.


Moist and rich, but crumbly and not cakelike as a cupcake should be. Still really worth eating. Very chocolaty. The espresso flavor will probably make its comeback in this dessert tomorrow or the next day, but by then the density will have consolidated. The orange flavor remained gentle, but noticeable, and lovely. Next try I think I'll go back to cocoa, and just add oil. I'll update. Oh, and also, I may try leaving out the baking soda. Here's the new recipe for these (and by the way, I made a dark chocolate buttercream frosting, but if I make these again, I'll probably go for a VERY dark ganache frosting):

Orange Mocha 2

1/2 c butter
1 c sugar
3 eggs
2 t vanilla
1/4 c oj
1/2 c espresso
6 oz unsweetened baking chocolate
1/3 c oil
2 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
2 T vinegar
1/2 t salt
2+ c cake flour
1 T orange zest

No comments:

Post a Comment