Thursday, March 5, 2009

Orange Mocha Cupcakes

So, after much facebook input on these little guys, i decided to ice half of them with vanilla and half with chocolate. The flavor of the cake is really nice and subtle, but you can see even in the pictures that they are a bit dry. Does that mean an extra stick of butter was required? Or milk? The liquids I did use were thin ones: espresso and orange juice. I must have needed something with a little more staying power.

That said, I congratulate myself on a fine first effort. Plus, I like taking pictures of little armies of cupcakes, marching forth.

Here's the recipe I made up, but if you make this, add lard or butter or something.

Orange Mocha Cupcakes

1/2 c butter
1 c sugar
2 eggs
2 t vanilla
1/4 c oj
1/2 c espresso
1/2 c cocoa
2 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
2 T vinegar
1/2 t salt
2 c cake flour
1 T orange zest

1) There is a cake protocol to follow, but I didn't do it because I'm lazy. Here's my way: Preheat to 350. Mix wet ingredients together while espresso is brewing.
2) Mix dry ingredients with wet ingredients.
3) Add espresso. Mix.
4) Bake.
5) I used regular old buttercream frosting, and the recipe is on the side of every box of confectioner's sugar, so I needn't repeat it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment